Tuesday, July 23, 2013
We leave next Monday! Crazy.
Missions. I’ve said it over and over… this is a missions trip. Not a rewards trip or a senior trip or a camping trip or a vacation trip. We are going to minister as much as possible. We will try to be an encouragement to the missionary while trying to help out in any way.
Expectations. This trip is far different from camp, Rendezvous, Heartland Trip, or any other multi-day trip we take. Make your expectations very low. You shouldn’t be expecting all kinds of treats and people bending over backwards to serve us. It’s the other way around. We’re there to serve. If we have a good time doing it, praise God!
Bro. Israel Warren. Bro. McCoy’s mother passed away while he was in the “Lower 48” and his furlough has been extended because he’s dealing with he house and his father’s failing health. In his place, the Warren family has been running the ministry in Unalakleet. Everything about our trip will be the same except for our host.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Sleeping Bag
- Small carry on (if needed)…small enough to hold on your lap in a bus.
- Phones are okay to have for emergencies only. NO texting or gaming on them.
- 1 big suitcase that weighs less than 50lbs. This one will be checked at the airport.
- SPECIAL: To save on luggage fees, 2 people will share one suitcase for sleeping bags, pillows, jackets, etc. (THREE 50lb. bags per TWO people).
WHAT NOT TO BRING:
- No laptops. You can bring books, small games to play with your friends or other things like that to occupy your time on the airplane. We would prefer you don’t watch movies and such.
- The usual bad stuff: drugs, guns, alcohol, bad attitude, etc.
Jeans and t-shirts okay for daily activities. Collared shirts for services. Ties on Sunday (I won’t be in a full suit; just shirt/tie, slacks.) No jeans on Sunday. No shorts all week.
Skirts or culottes all week. No pants. Skirts or dresses for VBS services (denim okay). No denim on Sunday.
MONDAY, JULY 29
8:00 AM ARRIVE at church to load
8:15 AM DEPART church
11:55 AM DEPART Los Angeles (LAX) – UA1254N (United Airlines)
1:30 PM ARRIVE San Francisco (SFO)
5:06 PM DEPART San Francisco (SFO) – UA1479N
9:04 PM ARRIVE Anchorage (ANC)
TUESDAY, JULY 30
10:45 AM ARRIVE at Anchorage Airport
12:15 PM DEPART Anchorage Airport – PENAIR KS Flight# 0231
1:55 PM ARRIVE in Unalakleet
WEDNESDAY – FRIDAY
Canvas/Outreach in the morning. Vacation Bible School in the evening.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 3 – Free day.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 4
10:00 AM Breakfast at church
11:00 AM Church
3:00 PM Kids Sunday School
7:00 PM Evening Service
MONDAY, AUGUST 5
2:25 PM DEPART Unalakleet – PENAIR KS Flight Number 0232
4:05 PM ARRIVE in Anchorage
11:00 PM ARRIVE back at Anchorage Airport
TUESDAY, AUGUST 6
12:35 AM DEPART Anchorage (ANC) – UA1243L (United Airlines)
6:13 AM ARRIVE in San Francisco (SFO)
7:22 AM DEPART San Francisco (SFO) – UA479L
8:55 AM ARRIVE in Los Angeles (LAX)
12:00 PM ARRIVE back at CBC
We will host a nightly (W, Th, F) Vacation Bible School for the village kids.
- Have a great time & a positive attitude!
- Help the kids find their places as they come in.
- Learn names and use them.
- Keep your eyes open for any potential problems.
- Follow ALL instructions.
- Watch for good behavior.
- Sit with the kids.
- Grab, spank, push or otherwise touch a child.
- Stand around gabbing.
- Use demeaning language or racial slurs of any kind.
- Men, don’t allow children to sit on your lap. Don’t take any to the restroom alone.
- Be in a room alone with a child with the door closed.
- Allow children to run around or hide in the bathrooms.
- Change or move assignments without asking.