Sunday, May 5, 2013
In a few weeks we’re going to get a few more new people in our class. We’re not going to kick out the seniors until they go to college (around August or September), but we’re graduating up the 6th graders on Promotion Sunday.
Remember what it was like your first week?
Seems like we just had Promotion Sunday and I was preaching from Romans on “It’s high time to grow up!” Well, now we’re at that time again.
Part of our “mantra” that we repeat often is Loving Others. If you love God like you should, it will overflow into a love for others. You won’t be sassy or mean or caddy when they show up. You’ll love them. Loving others actually takes work… it’s not automatic! (You probably know that from experience already.) Here are some ideas on how to welcome others:
- Learn their names. Immediately learn people’s names. That will go very far.
- Use their names. When you see them, use their names and talk to them.
- Converse with them. Find something to talk about. Be friendly.
- Greet them every class. No matter who. No matter what. Say “hey” at least, and that’s all.
- Laugh with them. Not at them. Remember that joke you told and no one laughed? Don’t do that to other people. Laugh with them. Even if you don’t think it’s funny. Remember the devo on Fri. night? Train your sense of humor and use it as a welcoming tool.
- Include them. When we split up for teams or you have a choice to sit by someone, sit by them. In Sunday school, on Wednesday nights, at activities… you get the idea. (Practice today!)
God can use you in this whether you think so or not. -Bro. Ryan
CAMPING TRIP – Please see the signup sheet. $15. Tent camping. Friday May 24 after school – Saturday May 25. Bring sack lunch for Friday night dinner.
PROMOTION SUNDAY – It’s coming up soon! We’ll have the new 7th graders (the current 6th graders) AND the new interns (Bro. Garrett and Bro. Tim) in our class on Sunday, June 2. Be sure to be kind and welcoming (Love God. Love others. Do right).